Well, the pain I woke up with this morning, (3:30am - alarmed time up to make it to the airport) , was enough for me to call my doctor's office and complain. Since it was Thursday, the doc was not in. I wanted an appointment for Friday but they told me Dr. Paul was already double-booked for that day and I would have to wait until Monday. Either that or go to the emergency room. I don't know about you, but a lot of times I get sick right when the there is a lack of access to a doctor.
After waiting all morning and feeling progressively worse I talked to the nurse. She said the same thing, go to the emergency room. They would be able to run blood work and all the necessary tests immediately. Because I was not only having pain right in the groin but to the right of it she wanted to make sure it was not appendicitis.
A side note: At the beginning of the health program year my hospital was not listed as approved with the health insurance for the first time in a long time. So before I could go to the ER I had to confirm the hospital was now approved. First I called HR, who referred me to the campus contact person. Of course, she was not at her desk so I had to call HR again and tell them I had been told by my doctor's nurse to go to the ER. HR gave me the direct number to the insurance company when they finally understood I needed assistance NOW. And hurray, the hospital I wanted was back on the list.
Then I called Crockett, who told me he would meet me there.
The office was really worried about me driving myself to the ER and kept asking if someone needed to drive me. I said I had been been in worse pain before and had been able to drive. After being asked yet again (I have to admit, it is NICE to have a caring group of co-workers for once!) I finally told them about the time I sliced my leg open and drove myself, bleeding profusely, to the ER. Finally got out of the office at 2pm. Still had not had lunch, just about six Starburst candies. And breakfast had occurred way back at 6am.
Since I knew I would be in ER for a while I stopped by home (which is on the way) and divested myself of all my office keys and such, and picked up my drawing supplies. I figured I might as well do something productive while I was waiting for help.
I got there and Crockett got there a few minutes after me. Did all the insurance mess and got back into the actual ER in less than a half-hour. That was amazing. Instead of having to go to one of those curtained 'stalls' I actually got a room with a door and private restroom. It was labeled the OB/GYN room. Then it was time for all the fun. Those stupid gowns are NOT made for anyone as large as me, which is irritating to say the least. While waiting for something to happen I was able to get a couple of sketches started.
The doc came in for the initial exam and noted he really hurt me when he pressed on my stomach and groin. Because the symptoms could point to many things it was time to run the tests.
First, x-rays. Forgot to take off the necklace I wear all the time so one of the x-rays showed a strange and small heart-shaped 'tumour' on my chest. *LOL* Had to do another one of those pics. Poor guy was fighting the machine the whole time too.
Crockett was supposed to meet his folks for dinner since they were in town. I had opted out before-hand because I knew I would feel wiped by the end of a work day feeling as bad as I did. So he dashed home to get online, get the phone number and let them know we were 'having fun' in the ER.
Next, the happy IV, in the top of the right hand. The nice thing was the pain killer injected through the IV, even when it 'burned' a bit. Went from pain #7 to about pain #2-3. Finally, some relief. It made my eyes go a little cross-eyed so I could not sketch much
Blood drawn from left arm because it refused to be drawn from the IV.
Next the pelvic exam. The 'amusement park' was healthy. When he pressed from the inside out the pain was terrible again.
Had to drink some kind of dye for the CAT scan. A LOT of dye. It was clear, not too unpleasant and the nurse, Pam had put ice in it to help it go down. It was just a LOT to drink. I sketched while I drank the stuff, which helped too.
Then I got cold. So cold I could not sketch. I rang for a blanket and they said the would bring one by in a few minutes. 20 minutes later, no blanket and I was almost shivering and my teeth were almost chattering. Crockett finally got back and I asked him to find someone to fetch a blanket. He came back and said they told him I was supposed to go for the CAT scan at any time so no blanket yet. So he came over to the bed and let me lean against him so I could at least get some warmth somewhere. I noticed and pointed out the thermostat. Crockett saw it was set at 72 degrees! No wonder I was shivering! He turned it up to 75 and the chill began to leave, a bit.
Finally my 'driver' showed up to push my bed to the CAT scan room. After I made a comment about no blanket he showed Crockett where to get one in one of the closets. He recommended waiting until I got back since the blankets were warmed. Ah, could not wait to get back!
The CAT scan took about 5 minutes. It seemed the travel time to and from took longer! The tech had to shoot me with more dye directly into the IV and warned me about the pain, especially since the IV was in the more sensitive hand. Jeeze, it DID hurt, but it stopped pretty quickly.
When I got back Crockett got me a warm blanket. Since we had been up so early I was drifting in and out of doze mode. The doc popped in at one point and said all the tests save the CAT scan were negative. So, no infection.
The CAT scan revealed I had an ovarian tumour on the right ovary and a cervical tumour. They were causing trouble because of my hormones were high at this time of the month. I commented on the fact my ob/gyn had found a tumour in my uterine wall when I had the laproscopy(sp) over 10 years ago. This doc said the uterine tumour was really a cervical tumour. Hmm, personally I think I have just gotten two more tumours added to the list.
My last period was especially painful. I was ill for almost a week. I guess this flaired up then. I am NOT happy with the fact I could very possibly be laid up twice a month instead of once a month. Well, every other month. I seem to have trouble every other month or so.
The doc gave me a perscription for painkillers and said I needed to see my ob/gyn so he could go more indepth. I bet I will be stuck taking birth control pills to control the hormones. Ack, I took them for 10 years and I just do not want to take them anymore.
Anyway, I went home, Crockett got my drugs and got home and I passed out until now. When I woke up it was time for a painkiller.
Now Crockett has to go to the airport alone because I doubt I will be able to function either there or at work.
Time to send an email to the office so they know what's going on...
Thanks: --> to Lia, my sensei, who has inspired me to draw again. I
wouldn't be doing this without your support, Domo Arigato!
--> to Talon, for sending me her fabulous fics, inspiring me with her writing to draw my first
illustration for a story and actually liking what I drew.
--> to Dasia, for her words of encouragement when drawing her original chara.
--> to Joules, a wonderful epic fic writer, for liking my art enough to want to post them with Talon's
and her own stories.
--> to Lutra, the other half of the epic team, for being so supportive.
--> to Jacque' & Becca Raddittzu, we met on eBay as bidder and sellers and now we are face-to-face
friends. You showed us the real DBZ with your fansubs. It's all your fault the house is full of
doujinshi! *LOL*